Thursday, March 12, 2009

ABCs of the Word, "E"


Pam, at Grey Like Snuffie is hosting another round of ABC's of the Word.  Check out her blog for more posts.

As I was looking up verses that had the word "encourage" in them, one of my brother-in-laws called for my husband.  Larry was out walking Heidi, and so we ended up talking.  He told me he is unhappy with the church he has been going to because people there are being intolerant.  I asked him what he meant, and we ended up kind of arguing.  I was trying to teach him from the Bible, using 1 Corinthians 5:9-14 and some others, but he was in the mood to argue.   I only took his bait a few minutes, and after several attempts to get off the phone, finally said I really needed to go.  One of the things he kept saying was that the Bible contradicts itself.  Finally, I said, "So you don't believe the Bible?"  He said he does, but religion is personal, and people have to interpret the Bible on their own.  Oh, dear, he needs prayer!

Then, I turned the page in my Bible to Romans 15:4-6:

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

It is a hard teaching for those whose hearts are hard, but Jesus is the only way to God.

(The clipart was from www.christart.com.)

9 comments:

  1. A double Amen to that! So good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,

    Amen. God's word is perfect, and never contradicts itself.

    Thank you for that scripture.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, I've sure missed getting by to see you. I hope you are doing okay. I'm hanging in there. You keep on witnessing. God gives the increase. Love, Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue,

    "Endurance" and "encouragement" from Romans. What hopeful verses.

    Blessings, Lana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome thoughts here-awesome "e" words!!

    In His Graces~Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Endurance and encouragement--and there is another important word in this verse that doesn't start with an "e"-and that is "unity".

    We need to stand united in Christ--what a perfect Scripture!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO true. I find many people who think the same thing and call themselves Christians. I think they just need a personal journey with Jesus to help them see the bible in the correct light.

    ReplyDelete