Monday, March 2, 2009

I Guess God Wanted Him Prayed For

Last week, while I was outside watching students getting on school busses, a man, around 30 to 40 years old was walking on the sidewalk, smoking a cigarette.  I am sensitive to smoke, candles, room sprays, perfume, and the like.  It hurts my lungs when I breath them.  I kept my distance, but asked the man if he knew it's against the law to smoke on the school grounds.  He muttered something, made a turn, and walked out of his way to walk right next to me as he kept smoking.  As I tried to get away, I got a breath full of the smoke, and reacted, using a word I shouldn't have. I told him he didn't need to walk next to me with that d___ cigarette.  As he walked away, he called me some very vulgar names with a very hateful voice, saying he'd smoke wherever he wanted to.  

I was angry at his rudeness, but I imagine smokers think those of us who remind them of the rules are being negative, even if we are trying not to sound that way.  Then, it occurred to me that God wanted me to pray for him, so I did, and do again if he comes to my mind.  Praying for those who do bad things helps us forgive them.  God is good!

1 comment:

  1. People like that need our prayers and forgiveness. It is so hard to restrain our human side on those occassions, isn't it? God bless you for having the strength to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete