Sunday, July 25, 2010

Something Different

I've mentioned how into the Word I was the first few years of becoming a Christian July of 1994.  Here is a link to my testimony.  I thought about editing it, but decided not to.  I am still inconsistent in my Bible reading, yet I pray every day, multiple times a day, keeping my connection to God.  I need to be nourishing my soul more.  I have been in the process of reading Matthew over the last few months.  I just finished chapter 12.  I intend with the help of prayer, to be more consistent. 

I had the idea to post something I got from the Bible reading I do as often as I can.  Then, as I was reading, and wondering what to post about, I had the idea to share what verses I had marked the most over the years.  Usually, I write the date when I underline, circle, or star verses, assuming I'll remember why I marked them.  I'll see if I really do remember.

In 1988, I was attending our university.  A man and his family were on campus, yelling at people that they were bad, and were going to hell.  I stopped and talked to the wife, telling her something like, I was a Christian, and how could they know anyone's heart?  I don't remember the conversation, but it was short.  They also interrupted a church picnic, but I didn't interact with them at that time, but he was mean!   I underlined Jesus' words in Matthew 12:7-8, and wrote the words, "shouting 'preacher' needs this."

"If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent.  For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

This was when Jesus was telling the Pharisees it was lawful to do good on the Sabbath.  I don't remember what all the "preacher" on campus was saying, but he was pretty much preaching law.  So, I think this would apply in this situation.  Oh, and I did say something to someone at the university, and was told they are there once a year.  I wonder what has become of them.

I am thankful my sins are forgiven, and that there isn't a way to earn favor with God.  I was just telling my story to a friend from church, and said that while I did have a born again experience, I would rather have had that faith as a child and young adult, like many do.  Come to find out, he had had one, too.

Thank you God, for reaching me with the gift of faith 26 years ago.  I pray for others to receive it, as well.


I wanted to add a photo, because I am so used to putting photos in posts.  I am also thankful for having a yard to garden in.

1 comment: