Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Familiar Verse, John 3:16

 I decided to write about a verse that's familiar, and add the verse that comes next, that is not as familiar, but very comforting.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."  John 3:16-17, NIV

I like the note in my study bible that talks about the gift of eternal life as a present possession.  One of the songs I want sung at my funeral is Amazing Grace, with the verse that is one of my all time favorites.  Its, "When we've been there, 10,000 years, bright shining as the sun, we've no less days to sing His praise, than when we've first begun."

I find there are periods in my life that I forget this, and don't have a heart of praise, but God is faithful to draw me back to Him.  He fills me with peace and joy so I can enjoy a taste of what is to come.  That gift of eternal life is something I own right now, though!  Praise God!  Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment