Monday, August 3, 2009

Today's Devotion

In July, 25 years ago, I became a Christian. I was always God's child, but did not believe He existed. I've mentioned that I devoured the Word for a number of years, and couldn't understand why more people weren't in Bible study. I even wrote some articles for the church's newsletter encouraging people to read their Bibles and/or come to Bible study. One of the articles, that I never submitted talked about when runners are getting their miles in, they feel so good and fit. When they don't run, they miss it, and when they start missing a lot, they lose some fitness. I compared that to being in the Word, and then neglecting it. Maybe I'll find it and post it in full.

Anyway, I've also mentioned that I go through spells where I am not in the Word. I still have my faith, and pray daily, and even intend to read my Bible, but I want to garden, blog, and maybe do some cleaning, and then I end up staying up too late, and say I'm going to try for tomorrow.

I've gotten some reading done the last few days, and am determined to keep it up. I found a Daily Walk from Walk Thru the Bible from August of 2004, and some others from other years that are from the New Testament, but when I sat down to read, I could only find the one that is in Jeremiah. I finished up day 2 of it today, which was chapters 7-10. It was emotional and a bit uncomfortable for me reading how upset God was with Judah's idolatry.

Then, I read in the study guide, "Make a list of some things you have reason to take pride in. Which item on your list gives you the greatest satisfaction? Do you know there is something God wants you to glory in? To 'pop' your buttons in pride over? To derive an 'ego boost' from every time you think about it? It isn't your bank account, your muscles, or your mind. It's your relationship with Him." (Daily Walk, August 2004)

I don't think pride is the word I would use. Maybe I'd replace it with "pleasure" or "satisfaction". I believe the interests I have are how God made me. He wants us to enjoy life, but He wants us to love Him first. I imagine I'm not the only one who fails in this area at times. I am so thankful for God's love and forgiveness. I've said that before, too. So, it's fine for me to spend lots of time gardening and blogging, if I'm not neglecting God in the process. I am so thankful it was easy for me to read several chapters and not think about the time.

My salvation is sure, but I want to know God here and now. Isaiah 55 talks about God's thoughts and ways being higher than ours, and that His Word accomplishes what he desires, which is that we will go out in joy, and be led forth in peace.

Peace!

3 comments:

  1. You are so honest in what you wrote about being a christian. Sometimes, I too think the same...

    Well, I guess it takes more grace than our effort to push and press on in our devotions..

    I always think this thought...
    That God placed Adam and Eve in the Garden first then anything else. I'm sure that counts for something for us gardeners.

    Take care & God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the closer I stay with god in prayer and thoughts the more peaceful I am. I have prayed for a problem in my family . I waited and prayed a lot. God heard my plea and. Answered it in his own time. Praise be to god.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James and Anonymous,
    I wonder if you subscribed to follow-up comments.

    You know, James, we don't know for sure what activities we will be doing in heaven, but I am thinking surely we will still have gardens.

    Thanks again, anonymous for your comments. I am also praying for my husband and grown children to receive the gift of faith in Jesus.

    Praise God for His answer to your pleading with Him. I really need to trust Him to take care of my unfair situation.

    ReplyDelete